Monday, September 15, 2008

And that's why it's worth it

I did something on Thursday, totally impulsive and without a lot of thought put into it. I just came up with the idea, and made it happen. I do this on occasion - spending money or taking time I don't have, going out of my way, driving wherever for someone I care about... it doesn't matter, I'm happy to do it.

The results of this particular impulsive action was one of the greatest thank you notes I've ever seen appearing in my inbox only days later.

I never do things with EXPECTATIONS of thanks or over zealous stories about how great and wonderful I am. (Though, you have to admit, I'm pretty freakin' awesome!) But I have to say, that when you tell someone that you appreciate something you do - it's what makes it worth it.

I do it, because it makes you happy. And I like to see you happy. So you're welcome.

And thank you for the thank you note, because it totally made my day.

I once quoted my dad in my scriptures (and of course, couldn't find it when I wanted to reference it) about how gratitude is one of the simplest virtues and ingratitude the greatest of vices. I can only say that I totally have a testimony of this. I think that Heavenly Father gets a similar thrill and satisfaction when He does something for us, and we thank Him with all our hearts. I'm sure it only makes Him want to bless us more... because He loves us, and when we appreciate what He gives us, He wants to give us more.

It's a trait I share with Him. It's totally worth it, if it makes you happy. So thanks for telling me.

And thank you to all my friends who have ever done a random act of kindness for me. Thank you for thinking about me, loving me, and supporting me. I truly have the best family and friends I could ask for.

In a related note: I owe a HUGE thank you to my Uncle Craig-dawg and Aunt Elouise. They are two of my most favorite people in the whole world. Having been with me nearly every step of my life, they are like second parents and I just LOVE them so much. While in town this past weekend for a wedding, my Uncle called me and invited me over for a dinner at Grandpa Bullock's. When I showed up, he had decorated the tree with little lantern lights, setting the ambiance of a little Parisian cafe, mixed with a little bit of home - as in, Kentucky Fried Chicken. I don't know if they realize how much I appreciated their kindness, their thinking of me, and their HUGS! I get so homesick sometimes, and it was just...nice, to have family around. The family I grew up knowing. The family that helped raise me. I was missing my dad SO much (don't think I miss you less, Dad...) and to have my uncle there, it was a pretty good substitute. So THANK YOU. I love you.

My Uncle Craig and me in San Diego, March 2007
*here's a tater, just for you, Craig! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...