Friday, May 08, 2009

Authors

I'm one of those people that like once I've ordered something from a restaurant and love it - I hardly ever stray from that one thing. I love yellow curry. I am sure that Thai offers other delicious dishes, but I can't give up my yellow curry! YUM!

The same principle applies to authors. Whenever I find an author that I like, I can't help but go and check out every book that that author has written. This, of course, includes the authors that have written series and sequels. This year, nearly all my authors are releasing new books! I'm so excited. In fact, I used my points from doing surveys on harrispollonline.com to order a couple of them!! (Nothing better than FREE books!)

Anyway...

Stephenie Meyer hasn't written anything new since Breaking Dawn. And I haven't heard any news that she is going to release anything else in the near future. Though she has mentioned something along the lines of mermaids. I'd almost like to see a sequel to The Host. Look, I realize that she is not a brilliant author. But her story ideas are original, interesting and highly entertaining. I love her characterization. Breaking Dawn was admittedly disappointing. But one bad book is not going to sway me from being a fan. I'm loyal.

Eva Ibbotson is hard to find in the U.S. She has written over 20 titles, but not all are available to us Americans. The few that I have found, however, are all on my bookshelf. She specializes in historical fiction that takes place in Europe (mostly) and lots of detail. Normally I have a hard time with paragraphs of detail, but Ibbotson does such a captivating job that I rarely get annoyed. More, she is either completely brilliant, or incredibly talented with research. Her books explore all sorts of careers (zoology, botany, music, etc) and the way she describes the flora and fauna of Brazil would make it seem like she was there in the 1920s. It's rather incredible. I just recently ordered her new book A Reluctant Heiress. I'm very excited.

Diana Gabaldon's books are the longest I've been able to read in quite some time. I haven't gotten into her John Gray series, because frankly, I'm not interested in reading about a gay British officer from the 18th century. However, the Outlander series is AMAZING. I love Jamie Fraser and Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser. Again, the research that had to go into Gabaldon's work is incredible. Further, Outlander does not just skimp around basic details and facts. Rather, they go into incredible detail of what dentistry or even just personal hygiene would have been like during the Revolutionary War. With books over 800 pages long, you can't help but fall in love with the characters. The story line is fantastic - even if there is a bit of black magic and time travel. And the love stories real. There isn't a lot of fluff, but real fights and general putting up with each other. I can't wait until An Echo in a Bone is released in August. I'm stoked.

Marcia Lynn McClure was first introduced to me by my aunt who warned me of her fluffy, almost corny writing. I read Dusty Britches in a night. Finished Shackles of Honor next; and continued to read and collect until I owned every one of her published books and e-books. The last few releases I've bought on the day of their release. To say that I'm obsessed, well, it might not cover it. MLM and I had a little bit of a tiff after her last book that was released. While not my favorite, it is hard to kill my interest in her "clean romance" novels. It is hard to find romance novels that leave out the raunchy love scenes, but don't focus on God and forgiveness and stuff like that. (Not that I disapprove of God - quite the contrary. However, I don't always want to read this puffed-up Christian novels that quote Bible verses and stuff like such as.) Anyway, the point is - I'm a sucker for the type-cast gorgeous, manly men with morals and chivalry. Most of MLM's heroes make me giggle and I can't help but love that. I recently pre-ordered her newest book A Crimson Frost. And despite the horrible taste her last book left in my mouth - I'm very happy with this soon-to-be purchase. I'm weak.

Julia Quinn created a world in regency London that I haven't gotten sick of yet. I love her Bridgerton series. I have read everything that she has put out on the shelf. (Except some of her e-books, which are not as good as her regular books.) I love the bantering between the characters. I love their personalities. I love how funny these books are, and how English they are. I love that she mentions some of the characters from other books in newer ones, and makes references to things that happen - but not in a way that would confuse you if you hadn't read the other books. She releases a new book in June. I'm thrilled.

Deanne Gist is sort of the author that I already said I didn't like with regards to the romance and the pushy-Christian philosophies. But Gist does a good job of mellowing out her characters. They mention God, forgiveness and the like. They quote Bible verses and worry about "saving" the hero or heroine. But not like others that I've read. Besides that, she's sort of funny. And if not funny, interesting. I love the history and, again, the research she puts throughout the books. Usually her books focus on areas where brides are scarce. I really enjoyed her To Measure a Lady. I like that these are truly clean books. She is also releasing a new book, A Bride in the Bargain, this summer. I'm already planning for it.

J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series was something I tried to avoid. I actually wanted nothing to do with it. I could not understand the obsession with the boy wizard. But last summer, I gave in. I read them all, books 1-7 within a couple of months. I was surprised by the amount of emotion invoked upon my person. How much I hated Delores Umbridge and how much I adored Neville Longbottom. Rowling's story is amazing in itself. I haven't read the books that she has produced since Deathly Hollows. And I don't know that I will - unless I reread the series again, and don't actually want to leave the Harry Potter world. It is incredible the wizard world that she created! And though the movies have little to do with her as an author, I have to say that I saw the trailer for the Half-Blood Prince in the theater last night and: I'm so excited! (I was going to post a picture here too...but I clicked on a pic and it scared the poo out of me when it looked like it was downloading worms, viruses and trojans. Nice. I have given up on a picture for this particular author.)

Of course, there should be some others listed on here too, classics like Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens, Louisa May Alcott, etc. I'll have to admit, I have not read all of their works - even if I do like the books that I have actually read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...