I combined a few different recipes to churn out this utterly delicious butter chicken, and am so impressed I feel the need to record the recipe so I can go back to it again.
INGREDIENTS (Feeds 6)
- 2 lb chicken thighs
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tbsp butter
- 15 oz Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- ¼ medium onion
- 3 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2-3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp curry powder
- Golden raisins
- Salt and Pepper
- Cut the chicken up into bite sized chunks and generously coat them in half the turmeric, ginger, salt, chili powder and cinnamon. Set aside in a bowl.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and add the butter. Brown the butter, add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Increase the pan heat to medium-high and add the chicken. Cook it almost entirely through - the outside should be white and this will take about 3-5 minutes. (Add more browned butter, if needed.)
- Once the chicken looks almost fully cooked add in the heavy whipping cream and tomato paste/sauce. It should be an red-orange color at this point. Turn the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove lid and add the rest of the spices. The chicken is fully cooked and you should be able to eat it. Allow curry sauce to reduce with the lid off until it reaches the consistency you like. Add cilantro and golden raisins.
- Serve with low carb naan or over cauliflower rice. Enjoy!
- NOTE: You can store the butter chicken in a sealed container for up to 10 days in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer. You can also use chicken thighs instead of breast for a higher fat content.