Friday, July 18, 2008

Tractors and Mountains




One of my most favorite things about Ohio is that we have farmland. Country. Land that is undeveloped and used in the same way it was used 100 years ago. I love that in Ohio, things grow. They grown and they are green, and they are wonderful.

In Utah, I see a new development being started everywhere I turn. So many "FOR SALE" signs of the undeveloped land that has now been set aside for new commercial use (as if we don't have enough...) or more housing (despite the market being terrible right now). I have always hated that you drive from Springville to Provo to Orem to Lindon, PG, American Fork, Lehi... all without stopping. There is nothing to separate each city! It's so weird to me. Even more so, the random horses and sheep that are surrounded by houses, because the few spots the farmers haven't sold their land were nevertheless developed AROUND.

Utah has its beauty, though, too. The mountains are incredible. The feeling of being so much closer to the stars is completely unreal. The other night I went to a movie screening at an outdoor amphitheater at Sundance. The moon was full, I was able to identify the Big Dipper almost immediately. Several of my comrades were able to identify other constellations. The fact that we could stare up into the stars was something that I did not take for granted. There were little wispy clouds that made the scene all the more...magical. The silhouette of the pine trees against the moonlit sky just made it all the more picturesque.

Anyway, I love when the two worlds combine. Obviously, you are never going to find mountains in Ohio. But nights in Ohio when the sky is actually clear are divine. And days when I find a little bit of country in Utah... well, it just makes me really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...