Friday, August 29, 2008

Black Thursday

Since I have never been one to be rational...

The feelings that went through my shocked system when Stephenie Meyer announced that she was putting her characterization project, Midnight Sun, on hold indefinitely instead of publishing it sometime next year, are not rational.

I'm devastated.

I know, it's retarded. I know that I shouldn't care. It is quite up to Stephenie to decide whether or not Midnight Sun should be published. After all, it was a characterization project, not the actual book. The story of Twilight has already been told by Bella. We basically know what is going to happen. BUT, my love for Edward, my obsession for Twilight, my absolute addiction needs to be fed.

To use Edward's metaphor: It's as if my heroin has been sunk at the bottom of the ocean and there is absolutely no way to recover it. I am an addict, and I am being forced into quitting cold turkey. There is no more. No hope for more. It's gone. All gone.

I can't lie and say I didn't read the twelve leaked chapters of Midnight Sun. I knew that basically it was illegal to be posted anywhere online. I also knew Stephenie Meyer's abhorrence for spoilers. I should have expected her to be upset... and I did. I did not expect that she would CANCEL the rest of the book. I, like many, devoured the twelve chapters. My craving for Twilight is insatiable. I wanted more, and I wanted it NOW. But knowing that more was coming, even without a specific deadline, the fact that it was coming was enough. I'd been reading the first chapter over and over, and now I had twelve chapters to work on and chew and dissolve until the rest of the book came. I was so looking forward to having my little compilation of all five books sitting on my shelf. The only hardback books I've ever found necessary to purchase.

And now there is no hope. Nothing. She has put the project on hold, indefinitely. What promised to be the best book of the series is no more!

I can understand that Stephenie is upset. She has every right to be. Had my rough draft work been posted online for all to see, I would be mortified. But to scrap the entire project? How can we change her mind? How can we get her to see that we need Midnight Sun? There are suggestions to send a care package to her stating how much we love her and her work. There are facebook groups all over the place figuring out what to do. But there is no way we are going to get Stephenie to do something she doesn't want or doesn't feel like she can continue.

Shoot. Now what is there to look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...