Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Unknown

I've been pretty calm about the whole surgery thing. That is, until today. Today I've been freaking out a little bit. Not of the surgery itself, really.

I'm not an anal planner and I can typically--as they say--go with the flow. But with surgery scheduled for Friday, and me having ZERO knowledge of what is going on or what to expect, I am in the middle of a meltdown.

My parents are flying standby. (Their choice. I've had offers for people to BUY tickets for them--did I mention that my friends are amazing, generous people?) With standby tickets you DON'T KNOW if and when you will arrive to your destination.

So come Friday morning, my parents may or may not be here for the surgery. But that's fine because I DON'T KNOW when my surgery is. Just that it is on Friday, some time in the morning. I also DON'T KNOW how I'm going to react to the anesthesia. Or how long I'm staying in the hospital. Or how long recovery will take, or how worthless I'm going to be while recovering. Or how I'm going to be affected by the surgery physically or emotionally.

I DON'T KNOW what I'm going to do with myself for two weeks while I'm off work. Or how much this is all going to cost me in the end. (Twenty percent of a most outrageous sum, most like. . .) I DON'T KNOW if there is still fluid in my lungs, though I suspect there is since my cough isn't gone; which means that I DON'T KNOW if that's important or not. Because shouldn't my lungs be in full working order before they put me under and do unmentionable things to my insides? I guess out of all the things, this will be answered tomorrow, since I'm headed back up to the doctor to have it all looked at again. Yippee.

I'm so clueless about all of it, and it is making me batty and moody and emotional. And, I don't like it all already. I didn't realize that I was so scared of the unknown. I mean, I have mini panic attacks every once awhile about the future and how things aren't going exactly as I thought they should. But those usually pass... Usually.

1 comment:

  1. This is what a surgery consult is for! Didn't your surgeon talk to you about all of that? You need to write down all of these questions and DON'T LEAVE tomorrow until they are all answered. When I had my shoulder surgery (I know, I'm not nearly as cool as you are) I was totally freaked out and spent about 3 hours in his office while he stared intently at his watch making sure I was going to be okay and knew what recovery was going to mean, what dosages of what painkillers I would be on, their side effects, etc. etc. etc. So when I took a percocet and I fell asleep one day and woke up 36 hours later, I wasn't freaked out. Good luck! You'll be fine! 30 years ago, you would have died. But you'll be fine now!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...