Saturday, April 19, 2008

agitabas

(that's "we are moving" in Latin)

It's a common theme among Provo-ites at the end of winter semester. Everyone is moving. Usually I'm involved - only if my final(s) are on moving day too... - but this year it is different. It seems as though everyone is moving away!

And I have too much stuff. How is the relevant? Well, I've been packing for 40 hours over the past few days (OK, maybe there were some breaks in there, and a trip to Sam's Club, and some burst of creativity that inspired me to write for a little bit... There's no studying in that 40 hours, so don't even look for that.) BUT there is also A LOT of packing in there too.

Back to my lament: I guess I should be used to everyone moving away, as it seems to be the story of my life. I've had so many "best friends" move away. The first friend that I can remember moving away is Tawny Johnson. I have really great memories of going to her house on Sundays and spending the night, playing Mancala, and saving her life by running to her house from the neighbors to retrieve her inhaler. She was the first asthmatic I've ever met. I don't know what happened to her. Then the Wrights, who move to Utah and changed their name to the Belnaps. I did not keep in touch with Ashley, but when my parents come to Utah, they always make a stop at the Belnaps, who are just as fun and crazy as I remember them. We had fun times with that family! Of course, then there was the Schwendiman family. I was devastated when they moved to sunny California, even though Paige was pretty excited about it (at 12 years old, I felt very betrayed by that, Thanks a lot Paige!) We kept in touch for a while, and then just didn't. It has been really cool to be able to reconnect out here in Provo, only to watch her leave for Nevada this summer. (This time, I'm not betrayed...don't worry. I'm very excited for you guys!) Jessica Bradfield moved to Arizona after 8th grade. Karen Zelnick and a BUNCH of people left for college throughout my high school years, along with others who left for missions. I've survived them all.

But now... now I am being abandoned as husbands get jobs or go off to med/law school, or whatever the reason is. Courtney is leaving for California, Jessica is headed to New Jersey, Reina left for Massachusetts. Laura is headed to Salt Lake (OK, so that's not that big of a deal... but with the price of gas SKY ROCKETING, who knows when we'll see her?) Jared is headed back to Ohio before turning in his mission papers, and James has been on his mission for a while now. It's just insane!

And I'm moving across town. From the peaceful, traffic-retarded (meaning, there is none) to the hustle and bustle of 500 West (I might shoot myself) where there are lights, and speed limits... The best part of course, is that I am moving back into BYU approved housing, which means NO STORAGE space and as I pack box after box after box I'm wondering, where is this all going? There is no way it is going to fit under my bed, even if I put it up on 8 cinder blocks! How did I accumulate so much stuff, and why can't I throw any of it away (I did gather 2 trash bags and 1 box of clothes/stuff for DI and throw away a small amount - just not enough to make a dent)? I've lived for a year with basically my own bathroom and a whole extra bedroom for storage space - that's not including 2 closets that I more or less took over, and a basement storage area! What is all this crap!? Surely it isn't crap, because as I packed it up, I knew I could not part with it.

And as I've been packing and readying for the move on Monday (we have to be out on Monday) I have NOT been thinking about my final, which is ALSO on Monday (go figure - as mentioned before, it would not be moving day without a final. I'm surprised, though grateful, that there isn't a plane ticket involved as well.) Factor in the lack of a truck, the fact that I can't move into my new place until NEXT week, and that stupid final... and you've got my life right now.

Awesome, huh?

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! If you need a place to store all your books you know where to find me. But where will you live for the next week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How was the move? Did it go smoothly? Man I miss you, hopefully I'll be able to take a trip to visit Grandma within the next few months and we can get together.

    I hope the move went smoothly for you and that you're starting to get settled in. I love you cuz.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...