Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I love Geography!

"Why I should like to travel to the country of _______"

Sounds like the easiest, best assignment in the world. Right? WRONG!

How am I supposed to pick just one? How am I supposed to sit and research exactly what I would do in said country, and then NOT get to go? I am reminded of when I had to plan my boss' trip to EMEA (I can't remember what that stands for anymore, Europe something...something) and where she would go on her down time. What a horrible sort of torture to inflict upon a geography major that has NEVER left the country. (And isn't likely for some time...) For a week I researched all the things that you could do in Austria. They had a grand time.

I can't even rank the countries that I want to go to most. I could try...but really, the priority changes depending on what book I'm reading at the moment, or whose accent I accidentally overhear.


Top 10 to visit in Europe (not ranked in any order...)
  1. UK - Britain, Scotland, Whales
  2. Ireland
  3. Croatia
  4. Austria
  5. Germany
  6. Czech Republic
  7. Romania
  8. Poland
  9. France
  10. Spain
  11. Portugal
  12. Italy
  13. Greece
  14. Bulgaria
  15. Switzerland
  16. Estonia
  17. Finland
  18. Sweden
  19. Denmark
  20. Hungary
Oh...whoops - did I say top 10???

Top 10 in Asia-Pacific
  1. Thailand
  2. Japan
  3. India
  4. China
  5. Indonesia
  6. Philippines
  7. New Guinea
  8. Australia
  9. New Zeland
  10. ALL of the Islands
Top 5 in Africa
  1. Ghana
  2. Kenya
  3. Morocco
  4. Madagascar
  5. South Africa
  6. Mozambique
  7. Ethiopia
Top 10 in Central and South America
  1. Brazil
  2. Mexico
  3. Argentina
  4. Chile
  5. Venezuela
  6. Peru
  7. Costa Rica
  8. Nicaragua
  9. Honduras
  10. Belize
  11. Uruguay
Top 10 in the Caribbean
  1. Cuba (hehe)
  2. Dominican Republic
  3. Haiti
  4. Barbados
  5. Jamaica
  6. Bahamas
  7. All of the Islands
  8. more Islands
  9. There are lots of Islands
  10. I'm not kidding - Sun, Sand, and Sea...awesome
Top 10 in the US/Canada - having grown up in the US, you would think that I wouldn't want to visit places here, but I realize that there is a lot that I haven't seen or experienced; but there is also stuff that I would like to experience again and again. The thing about the US is that it is so diversified, that you could probably spend all your time and money and resources discovering our very own country and still never see it all...but, it definitely lacks in some things that world traveling would provide.
  1. New England
  2. New Orleans
  3. New York
  4. Alaska
  5. Hawaii
  6. More California
  7. Oregon/Washington
  8. Minnesota
  9. Chicago
  10. The South
Do you see my dilemma? Now that I have two hours before the library closes, I need to pick a place. But where to pick? I still haven't decided. And how am I going to afford all of this? I guess I really do need to get a job at the airport so that I can travel for free. That won't subsidize all the cost, but it will help a little bit. Oh man, I want to leave this country...just for a little trip. I don't think I'll ever see it all. I guess it is good that I do not have a passport and a credit card with unlimited funds. I don't think I would be stupid enough to charge a trip across Europe, but there would really be no way enough.

2 comments:

  1. I vote you write it on the U.S.

    Reasons: Information readily available, not as depressing to research because you could actually do some of these trips, so many things to highlight and you could divide the paper into regions, or topics such as food/manmade monuments/natural "monuments?", and... how many people in your class are gonna think to right on the U.S.

    Yeah, the rest of the world seems really cool, but there really are some amazing things to see and do practically in your own backyard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a little problem with your South America list... that of course beside the fact that you listed Uruguay as number 11. :)

    Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and Belize are not in South America at all! Mexico is totally N. America, and the rest fall happily into Central America, which I still kind of consider as part of North America.

    All of this of course would leave you with only 6 countries in your list... making Uruguay 6th.

    Much better! :)

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...