Saturday, January 17, 2009

Trench Coat Flasher

As I walking up the steps that lead to our hot tub and inevitably my warm apartment, I had just finished a book that wasn't something that I needed to dwell on - it was full of fluff. You don't dwell on that sort of thing, especially when you don't participate in your own life. There is something about reading for a couple hours and then snapping your head up and realizing that you are back in real life. But you're still in transition mode, you put the car in drive and it seems like you are on auto-pilot until you get home. And then you start thinking.

I was thinking, as I climbed the stairs, that it was cold. Dang cold. But I was grateful, for once, that I was not in Ohio - because I hear that it is even colder in the midwest. Still, I was anticipating getting back inside, or wishing that I had never left the warmth of my car. And then I thought, "At least my boots match my coat." I'm not sure how that justified the cold, but it did. Because I hadn't taken my coat off all day. In fact, I had completely forgotten what I had chosen to wear yesterday because I had not seen the outfit all day. So I thought, "Heck, why do I dirty my clothes then? I could just wear absolutely nothing under my coat - save my self the chore of doing laundry (which I hate) and spending money on laundry detergent and softner and bleach." I contemplated that for a full 10 seconds and further realized that I have to wear clothes underneath, if simply for the layers. Layers are what make the coat work after all, I think. Whether or not that is true, you are advised to wear layers in the cold. So dang, guess I won't be going freestyle under my coat.

In related news, I found a cute jacket that I bought last year, maybe the year before, but I haven't worn it since I bought it. Because it was in the truck of my car, I had forgotten about it. I finally pulled it out, washed it, and now I am wearing it. Too bad that I'll leave my house, put on my coat, and no one will see it until spring.

I am grateful I'm not in Ohio right now...it's freezing there. Or at least, that is what I keep telling myself.

2 comments:

  1. It was 80 degrees yesterday here in San Diego. We're having a bit of a warm spell, but then, it never really gets that cold. I don't know what to do with my coats. Do you want them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Courtney. Also, I was really hoping that someone had flashed you. I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...