Thursday, January 08, 2009

The Awesome Things You Learn in College

The following is a list that has been compiled over the first week of school of amazing things I have learned...gosh, I love school! I will most assuredly be updating this list.
  1. "From the point of view of the mythical Grim Reaper, Americans are most elusive at ages 10 and 11 when only one in every 5,000 people dies, and most vulnerable at age 122 when virtually everyone is harvested." - Population: A Lively Introduction*. Population Geography**
  2. "The effect of the weather on the inhabitants of Provence [France] is immediate and obvious. They expect every day to be sunny, and their disposition suffers when it isn't. Rain they take as a personal affront, shaking their heads and commiserating with each other in the cafes, looking with profound suspicion at the sky as though a plague of locusts is about to descend, and picking their way with distaste through the puddles on the pavement. (If he weren't talking about the French, he most certainly would be talking about our apartment...) If anything worse than a rainy day should come along, such as this sub-zero snap, the result is startling: most the population disappears... But what did everyone else do? The earth was frozen, the vines were clipped and dormant, it was too cold to hunt. Had they all gone on holiday?...It was a puzzle, until we realized how many of the local people had their birthdays in September or October, and then a possible but unverifiable answer suggested itself: they were busy indoors making babies. There is a season for everything in Provence, and the first two months of the year must be devoted to procreation. We have never dared to ask." -A Year in Provence, Peter Mayle. Travel Geography
  3. My teacher, Dr. Hardin, is the "best darn apologizer in the world!" -GEOG 211 Syllabus. Map Use and Analysis (I thought I had a list of things from the syllabus that I thought was hilarious, but I think it was just what he told us in class.)
*I am not going to properly cite everything. Take the title. If you want more information, you can contact me, but I doubt very much you'd be interested in reading full articles, text books, and various hodge-podge material that I am studying.
**This is the class that I was doing homework for when I encountered these gems of knowledge. Just for proof that I am studying ALL of my classes, whether I like them or not.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've heard that quote about Provence before. It's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *sigh* I miss school. It takes away the monotony of work. And baby-baking.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...