Thursday, February 19, 2009

Our Miraculous Bodies

As I was walking to my car yesterday, and before I discovered the stupid parking ticket given to me by Provo City, I was thinking about how amazing our bodies are. Actually, I was thinking that if I were to trip and fall while walking with my eyes closed, I would probably not try to break my fall and that I would probably not try to get up. I would instead just lie on the sidewalk and take a nap.

But really. We put our bodies through some pretty extreme things. People go to space and survive incredible accidents. During wars and conflicts there are all sorts of things people adapt to endure starvation and confinement - it's amazing. At school, we program ourselves to go with as little as sleep as possible. Like, days, without sleeps. Full nights running on energy that just happens to be there - or, more likely, fueled by Heath bars and chocolate cake, caffeine, and...well, anything you can stuff in your face because if you are eating then you aren't sleeping. We're so used to not sleeping that our bodies can pick a chair, a corner, a bench, or underneath a stairwell and you can fall asleep for a few minutes or up to an hour and wake up just in time to make it to class.

Lots of my friends are pregnant right now. And my sister just had a baby. Pregnancy has to be one of the most extreme conditions are body goes through. The changes that occur; the sickness and the heightened senses... I don't know because I've never experienced it, but it's pretty crazy. It's like we're oysters growing pearls. Only, we're better than oysters because instead of growing some precious stone (is a pearl a stone?) we're growing live human beings. Pearls probably don't give the oyster heartburn, and the oyster definitely couldn't feel the pearl when it has hiccups.

Yup, the body is amazing. No wonder Satan is so jealous he doesn't have one, eh? We're truly blessed for what we have - even if we were given slow metabolisms, oily skin prone to breakouts, and hair where we don't want it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...