Sunday, May 10, 2009

meus decorus matris


I've been thinking about my mother all day today. Of course, I'm sure that it is not a wholly original idea - after all, my mom had already been told four times before I even called that she is the best mother in the world. Novel idea or not - it's hard not to think of your mum, when she has had such a huge impact on your life.

From the moment we are conceived, we become little parasites that feed off our moms. Did you know that if a mother doesn't get enough calcium, a fetus will start to take from the mother's bones? The unequal balance of give and take from mother to child doesn't stop there. It continues for the rest of our lives. Mothers give counsel, wisdom, unconditional love. They offer advice, support and and guidance. Mothers are there to wipe tears, give hugs and vigilantly defend their children.

My mom is no different. In fact, I argue that she is the very best. She has been my very best friend for many, many years.

Top 5 Reasons I love meus matris:
  1. My mom is one of the most obedient and non-rebellious spirits I have ever met. She was born and raised in the Church, and has never questioned anything. She is upstanding in the Church, has always held a current temple recommend and has done her best to teach me to do the same. I'm not as good as she is. I like to question things. I like to understand why. She doesn't need to know why. She just does.
  2. My mom indulges me. Every time I call, every email I send she will (at least pretend to) be interested in what I have to say. She read Twilight on my insistence. She will make an hour long conversation last, just so I can hear her voice and pretend that I am home for a little while.
  3. My mom loves her children unconditionally. Unconditionally. Infinitely unconditionally. I don't know how else to describe it - but I know that no matter what I do she will continue to love and serve. I know that she prays and cries for us as her kids when we are retarded. But she never stops loving us.
  4. I know that my mom offers her whole heart to us and serves us in whatever way she can. She will sit and do homework with us, even if she doesn't understand or want to do the assignment. But she will sit there, just so we can have the extra "brain power." Anything that is within her capabilities, she will do it. She has been a great example of how to treat a husband. And how to respect and honor your own parents. She knows what it means to be a good spouse and daughter. Because of her, I strive to do the same.
  5. I just love her so much. And whenever I think about how much I love her - I love her even more. I am so proud to be her daughter. To have been raised by her. To be loved by her. To look like her. To have been taught by her. What an amazing woman! My heart is so full, so grateful to be her daughter.
Thank you Mom. Thank you for everything. I love you more than words can say.

Yours forever,
Shelli

1 comment:

  1. Hey I randomly found your blog on the internet looking for pictures of the Draper Temple -- Your lookin good! Anyhow my blog is doylefamilyutah.blogspot.com -- You will find Janae, Erin, etc. on there.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...