Sunday, August 23, 2009

Weekend Sports

I love being home when my brothers and sister are involved in all their many sports activities. Obviously, I miss a lot of games living so far away, so it is nice to be able to catch a scrimmage or game - and in the case of this weekend, both.

Friday night we went to the Troy Memorial Stadium and watched Brad's football scrimmage. He is playing varsity this year, and it will be fun for everyone to go and be part of that atmosphere. I admit, I wasn't much into watching my own football team when I was in high school. I enjoyed the football games throughout my elementary and jr. high days, but high school was another story. First of all, when I was in grade school, the Troy football team was good. We had Ryan Brewer and he was amazing... that's all I really remember. That, and Jessica and me throwing Gobstoppers at William Harrelson's head. After the younger, innocent years, I remember learning devastating things about my best friend, and then leaving a football game in tears. I never did go back, except one final game senior year. We were rained out - lightning - and so it wasn't all that great. ANYWAY, the point is this. With Bradley on the field, the games are bound to be more exciting. First with someone to actually cheer for, second because Brad is fun to watch (even if he doesn't exactly know what he is doing all the time) and third, because the atmosphere of the football games are really exciting. There's the chill in the air, the beat of the marching band, the Friday night lights. I'm jealous. I think it will be really great to watch Brad every Friday. Let's just hope the team doesn't suck, again, this year.


Saturday was Mackenzie's soccer game. I've never been a soccer fan... (On the off chance that Courtney is going to read this, I end there.) Anyway, it was really fun to watch Mackenzie play, even if frustrating beyond all reason. These girls have been playing together for a while, and they still don't understand how to pass, how to kick towards a team member. It's as if they don't know how to aim at all. Then there's the minor problem that there seems to be a force field around the goal, and so they have an impossible time getting the ball anywhere near it. In fact, they spend most of the game playing defense. Their one goal was scored by what looked like the, uh, biggest girl on the team - and yet, she was the only one that really seemed to hustle and be in the game to win. Amy and I kept crying for BLOOD, SWEAT, and if we were lucky tears. But to no avail. Apparently these girls are pansies.


And then last night, we went as a family (sans Mark...it's always sans Mark) to bowl. Now, bowling is a sport that I could get into. Of course, it's nearly impossible with the fact that ALL the balls are made for right-handed people. Which is, of course, ridiculous. The right-handed balls nearly break off my fingers! I did not bowl well. In fact, for the first time ever, I think I lost! I hate losing. I average a shabby 95-120. My record being 135...I think, and this time I got an 81. BOOOO! I blame the balls. Besides being right-handed, they were all too heavy. I tried to bowl right-handed, and barely managed to pick the ball up in my right hand. (Guess I need to work my right arm out a bit more...) All the lighter balls must have been hidden away or used by the other kids at the alley. I won't mention the fact that we also had bumpers on our land, and still managed to suck.

Our family went out to dinner to a favorite, Friendly's. It is simply the most delicious ice cream, and very Midwest. Even though I've lived in Provo for five years - the ice cream capital of the U.S. - I still crave Friendly's. The shabby joint, that smells like an old person's house and plays music from the 50s, has the best ice cream sundaes in the world. I strayed from my original cookie dough ice cream with peanut butter and hot fudge and tried their pistachio ice cream. Delicious.

To top the whole weekend off, it has been perfect Midwest, end-of-the-summer weather, with rain and cool breezes. Almost chilly and absolutely lovely. It gets me in mind for chili and football games. I love it.

1 comment:

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...