Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Host

I hate when I do this. But I can't stop myself.

What is this, you ask.

Reading.

Oh, glorious reading! I'm not saying that I hate reading, on the contrary. I love it! So much so, that when I find a book I read it straight through. Not thinking about the consequences. I pick it up and once I've gotten past the first chapter, it's all downhill from there. I carry it everywhere I go. Usually starting in my bed, then moving to the kitchen to eat breakfast, or something of a resemblance, then I work my way to the couch, then the floor in the living room, back to my desk, outside, and then take my delicious book to an hour, or two or three, long bath. If the book has not been finished, then it is time for dinner, or a 10:00pm snack - because time really escapes when you are devouring a wonderful book - and then finally back to my bed or the couch to finish it off at around 3am.

At least, that's when you are reading a 600+ page book. Good luck to finish it if it is longer, though, admittedly, even if it were longer - I could probably have finished it around 5 or 6 in the morning, I would have continued to read and read until it was over. Because when I'm reading, I don't feel tired. Not if it is a book that properly sucks me in.


Which is what happened yesterday, when I started reading The Host, by Stephenie Meyer. Of course I was going to read her newest novel! I love Twilight too much to NOT read another piece of work from this brilliant author who brought into my life Edward and Jacob. I hadn't always felt that way, when you read what The Host is about, it's kind of weird. To hear science fiction as the sort of genre, it made me cringe. But, SM is my hero, my friend. How could I not encourage her writing endeavors? How could I NOT read a book written by her? So as soon as I knew that I could get my hands on this book - I cleared my weekend schedule. Nothing was going to stop me from finishing it this weekend.

It did not take me the whole weekend.

I picked it up on Friday night, but hung out with my friends until 11pm. I didn't mean to stay there long, but the conversation was wonderful and I have to take advantage of the fact that they only live 10 minutes away, because they are headed back to Ohio next month. Anyway, they fed me and entertained me, AND were loaning me the book - I had to repay my gratitude. (Plus, I totally had to educate Kelli on Twilight. She has much to learn.)

I read for only a few hours on my balcony that night, and then fell asleep on the cement. I knew it was time for bed when I woke up on the hard ground. But Saturday I woke up (around 12pm, hehe) and began reading and didn't stop but long enough to wash my hair. I immediately fell in love with Ian. and Jared. and Wanderer. The concept for the book is weird, and the first few chapters, it is hard to see where this giant book is going to take you... but it is so awesome! I can't describe how much I enjoyed this book. It's nothing like I've ever read.

Don't listen to the 14 year old girls who talk about how they need millions of tissue, and bawled. I was really afraid that Stephenie would do something unfair to us and give us an unhappy ending - a practical ending. But she delivered! Just as I knew she would.

So definitely, definitely read it.

But don't read it so fast... because like most good books, it's not so fun when it's over too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...