Friday, September 12, 2008

10 Things You Didn't Know - but probably suspected

  1. I will order anything that has some sort of alcohol in it...or at least be intrigued by it, but I don't drink. Hence the reason I am eating, and enjoying, Bourbon chicken right now. Yum**
  2. I listen to awesome music.
  3. The harp upstairs is driving me bonkers.
  4. I am sincerely afraid of the day my (unborn, future) son wants to be in a musical, show choir, or heaven forbid, a dance team. I would much rather him play football or basketball. I'd even allow soccer or baseball...and watch faithfully. But dance?
  5. My brother Brad is my favorite kid between the ages of 12-18. He is hilarious, and will be driving soon. I love him to death.
  6. I should never be allowed in a book store. Unless I have 5 hours or more to occupy.
  7. I never have 5 hours or more to occupy.
  8. For one week - I showered every night, read my scriptures, said my prayers, went to bed by 11:00 p.m., woke up on time, went to work on time, and did not feel rested. Last night, I listened to Becca read two verses, cleaned the bathroom, said my prayers, went to bed at 2:30 a.m., and did not hear either of my alarms... this is more typical.
  9. Lately I've been dreaming about random people from high school... not even ones I was friends with. It's weird.
  10. I like class. I don't mind working. But I HATE doing both together. Actually, I don't like working. I'd rather be a perpetual student... or have my own garden.
**I need to make a clarification. When I talk about ordering anything with alcohol in it, I simply mean that things like, "beer-battered fish" or "creamy Marsala wine sauce" or "Whiskey chicken," "Banana's Foster with spiced Rum"

It's not that I'm seeking out alcohol, or the appearance of evil. It's just that when you are watching all the famous cooking shows, the FoodNetwork, etc they use WINE and ALCOHOL for everything. Whether as a drink to enhance their meal, or as an ingredient, it's always used. And since I refuse to have alcohol in my house, I'll never be able to do such things. But you have to admit, the flavor is uncommonly amazing when it is used in food. Therefore, I like to try it, because the alcohol is cooked out (do NOT argue with me on this... it's cooked out. I don't want to hear otherwise).

Besides, I do hardly anything rebellious. But...#11 I am a rebellious spirit. Even if it is only mild compareatively.

So, please... don't be concerned.

4 comments:

  1. I agree on the garden thing. I would love to have a huge garden with secret areas and ponds and benches to sit on. I probably never will have enough room or money to do something like that, but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually don't like the taste of alcohol in foods. I think it's disgusting. And if I hear you say/ write Banana's Foster one more time I swear I will kill you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for like, blog-stalking you hardcore tonight!

    It just made me laugh a little when you had to clarify your thing about food with alcohol in it.

    It reminded me of some excellent Relief Society meetings in Italy. It's a pretty touchy subject there, actually.

    Like, ok, the Church has only really been in Italy for 30 years or so. (Even now, only a fraction of one percent of the Italian population is LDS.) So MOST adults are converts. Some people our age grew up in the Church. A bunch of kids did.

    Italian food is VERY precise, homemade with traditional recipes, and people are VERY proud of their food. And many, many of their recipes have wine in them.

    So whenever the Word of Wisdom comes up in a Relief Society lesson, it's this huge deal--can you cook with wine? Can't you? And some of them are such intense converts that like, they think EVERYONE, REALLY, should just know better, and why would you even CONSIDER cooking with wine??! And some of them are like, IT'S TRADITION! Annnnd, it cooks out ANYWAY. (Although depending on the cook, and their particular family recipe, it may or may not actually cook out. haha)

    And some people INSIST that grape juice is an ok substitute, or some other thing is. And other people INSIST that it isn't, and NOTHING is.

    Boy, if you get them started, they'll go on and on about it. They take it so seriously; it can be quite a sensitive subject.

    [Another widely-discussed Relief Society topic is: ironing. They don't use dryers there, you know, they have drying racks, so the FANCY, FANCY home appliance you get if you have money to spend or want your neighbors to think you're spoiled---it's not a Dyson vacuum. It's not a Kitchenaid mixer. It's an iron. Like, I swear, they have these irons that are like professional dry-cleaning irons, or something. Where there's a big tank for the water underneath, and the ironing board has a thing that lifts the cord so that it's above. They iron bedsheets there. Ironing is a daily thing. Irons there are way more intense than anyone's irons here. So, they're always talking about ironing in Relief Society.]

    Sorry for hijacking your blog! It's been forever since I've thought about some of the really funny RS meetings, so thanks, yo.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...