Saturday, September 20, 2008

What do you fight for?

Today's society is seriously depressing if we think about it. That's a real cheery way to start this post, but it's so true. People care about things that shouldn't matter like whether someone's skin tone is different, their background, or the fact that they don't own something deemed important. And then they are completely apathetic about other things.

Passion is something that this country was founded on. There were a bunch of guys who were passionate about establishing a nation where its people could live with freedoms never known before. And have since, fought wars to preserve those freedoms.

Susie Switzer said, There would be no passion in this world if we never had to fight for what we love.

But I think, that we are dwindling in passion because we've stopped loving. Does that make sense? It seems that everyone is so wrapped up in themselves, that the only thing they are passionate about are things that aren't important: self-gratifying, superficial...dumb things. We don't love the way people used to love. I have found seldom a work of fiction that takes place in modern times that inspires me the way things written about the Victorian era, or Civil War, or Revolutionary, or Pioneer or Pilgrim times... or any other time but now. Why? I think it's because even though these societies had their problems, they still understood what inspired passion. They still loved.

I'm accused of being dramatic. Nay. I am not dramatic. I am passionate. I LOVE the things I love. And I HATE the things I hate. And I get to angry. And I cry so easily. And basically, I am super emotional. But it all stems from passion...not melodramatics. I think sometimes people don't understand me. But that's ok. I don't understand people. I don't understand when someone says, "I love you," or "I love this..." and then when it is threatened to be taken away, they don't fight for it.

My best example of what I'm trying to get at... My best friend of 10-11 years... the girl I befriended in first grade and did EVERYTHING with until sophomore year of high school... we made plans, we plotted our futures, made promises, everything... and then something happened. We grew apart. It happens to the best of us. I think it happens to all of us. But this girl that I had grown up with and I just stopped. We stopped being friends. And the thing of it is... I just got sick of trying. I had vowed that she and I would be best friends forever. And when I said FOREVER, I meant it. But things that are going to last forever take work. My senior year, we got in a huge fight. I was so angry and so upset, and I asked, "Does that mean we aren't friends anymore?"

What I wanted to hear was, "No, of course that isn't what it means." But instead I got, "If that's how you want it."

If that's how I wanted it. It was as if she didn't care. She wasn't willing to fight for a friendship that had lasted over a decade. She was willing to just let it go and not care about what happened. I'm pretty sure I cried as if she had died. I wanted her to fight. I didn't want her to give up. But she did. I tried hard for about a year... I called her all the time, emailed her, tried to stay friends on MySpace and Facebook. I called her when I came back from school for breaks. But things are different now. We aren't the same people, we didn't continue to grow together.
I feel that there are relationships in my family that are currently going through the same thing. We are drifting apart. And it's as if they're telling me that they no longer want to fight for...anything.

Do you know how often my family uses the phrase, "I don't care." I bet it's at least 10 times a day. I'm so sick of apathy!

And I think that's what I want. What I crave the most... someone who is as passionate as I am. Someone who is willing to fight, because they love. Someone who loves me enough to fight for. I know I'd do it, fight for the one I love. Because I feel like I do it all the time.

Call me dramatic... but I know different. I'm not dramatic at all...

1 comment:

  1. Shelli!!!! I'm here for you babe! I can't wait for you to be living closer to home, but we should talk more. I need to be a better cousin, and yet I complain about the friends that have drifted away from me. So this is me reaching out and trying hard and being passionate:) Love you sister!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...