Monday, November 10, 2008

I refuse to listen... you cannot make me!


The annual WalMart boycott has begun. I made the mistake of going to said store earlier last week, needing just a few items for dinner group. As I was strolling along the aisle, looking for stir fry seasoning, I noticed that the music in WalMart was somewhat different. There were strange bells, and it was all classical, and I couldn't peg exactly...

And then it hit me.

EVERY YEAR I have to go through this. The WalMart fast, all because they play Christmas music from November 1 until December 31. Can I just remind you... that there are at least two holidays in between that time (three if you are counting my birthday) - 3 HOLIDAYS! And they are just skipping right over the most important holiday of the autumn season - that being, THANKSGIVING!

So:

(Just so you remember, the WalMart boycott will only last through the month of November. It's too cheap to give up altogether!)

I love Thanksgiving. I love everything about it (when done "right") and I HATE to see is skipped over just because WalMart thinks they can make a few extra bucks in sales by reminding people that Christmas is on its way and they should start buying now through music. It's like subliminal messaging, only blatant!

In other news: I think I am going to boycott Macey's as well. And definitely all the radio sations that have already started playing Christmas songs. Why don't they make Thanksgiving songs? Anyway, I was walking down Macey's Seasonal/Promotional aisle, and you'll never guess what I saw. Oh wait, I'm sure you can... Christmas...Christmas...more Christmas. Reds and Greens, Elves and Santas. Candies of all sorts donning reindeer and Christmas trees. Rows and rows and rows of candy canes. Oh, and one eenie-weinie space for Autumn things. Autumn things! Not even Thanksgiving, just autumn in general. For all I know, they had it on display during Halloween and didn't bother to move it in order to make room for all their too-early Christmas items.

It makes me sick. And irate. And irritated.

Why is it that people and stores can't be like me. Come December 1, you'll hear nothing coming from my speakers but Christmas music. I'll have my house decked out in lights and garland. I'll be enjoying Christmas the right way, in its right time.

I encourage you to do the same.

Thank goodness for pilgrims! Thanks for turkey and mashed potatoes. And ROLLS! But more importantly Thanks for my family, for my Savior, the gospel, living prophets, the scriptures, good roommates, wonderful friends, a free nation, pillows and blankets, an education, technology, good music, being well fed, having a job, a car that runs, a phone to communicate with, and everything else Heavenly Father has been so generous to give.

3 comments:

  1. i agree, but how annoying would it be to hear the thanksgiving song over and over and over... with christmas music at least you can go days without hearing the same song

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crustmaster903478. I thought we discussed this. Also, if by "wonderful friends" you mean me and Wein, then say so. Do it. Dump all your other friends and we will run away to our FTC commune together where Christmas music will be played all year round!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, name one Thanksgiving song. I dare you. Can't do it. Also, Christmas is the best. It should be year round. Lights! Trees! Presents! Snow!

    Swoon.

    You are dead to me for wanting to shorten the most wonderful time of the year. Just for that, I'm going to Home Depot tonight to get my twinkle lights for the house. Jared, beware. You're on light duty this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...