Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bring on the Heartbreak

The following post is going to confuse some people. These are they who have experienced the topic of the post. These are they who may want to shield me from pain or suffering. These are they who simply do not understand that some life experiences should not be missed - even if they hurt.

I'm not sure how many people know my opinion on this. I don't know how many times I've actually given this opinion...no, longing...a voice. But I imagine that there will be those that will try to offer comfort or advice - something - in order to get me to change my mind. Will.Not.Happen. My desires on this particular topic are pretty much cemented.*

So after this preface, dear reader, you are wondering what I am going on about. And so, I will quote Oscar Wilde, who said, "The heart was meant to be broken."

Meant to be broken. I'm sure he uttered these words after his had been broken. Or perhaps he just witnessed his sister's broken heart. Or maybe he was completely cruel, and when his now ex-lover was crying, "You're breaking my heart!" he coldly turned down the stairs of her front porch, said that hearts were meant to be as such, and walked out of her life for good. I really don't know the context. But I think, that if hearts were meant to be broken, and mine never has been (and is no where in the vicinity of coming close) - I am missing out.

I'm not counting the times when my heart has broken for someone. And I don't think Oscar meant that either. Whenever my brother thinks that he is worth nothing or doesn't deserve love - my heart breaks for him. Whenever I hear about someone on the new losing a mother or father or child - my heart breaks for that family. This is not what I am talking about.

I'm talking about the pain and suffering that comes from being rejected or breaking up. The kind that emotionally scars people - eventually making them better people - and makes it hard for them to trust or love again. The kind of heartbreak that eventually leads to you wanting to key his car. Then in some sort of nostalgic manner, burn everything he ever gave you.

But why would anyone want to subject themselves to that?!

Here are my thoughts:
  • Breaking up with someone means that you were actually in a relationship
  • Relationships - especially ones that don't last - are extremely educational, you learn so much about life and human nature
  • Overcoming heartbreak makes the human spirit stronger.
  • Once you have an ex, your world is open to topics of conversation that you were previously excluded/unable to contribute to - everyone should have "ex" stories.
  • You can provide a sort of empathy to the next person you meet who is going through something similar - it just doesn't do to have someone crying on your shoulder about lost love when you don't comprehend. In your mind you're thinking, "Just get over it." "It wasn't meant to be." etc. But having gone through the experience yourself, you can offer empathy.
  • Personally - I could use a little "cool down" period. A time in my life where romance, love and mush didn't appeal to me. I could use a little "man-hating" time. Like Picasso's Blue Period, only it would be "Shelli's Man-Hating Period." Because, really...I don't hate them at all right now.
So what does a girl have to do to get her heart broken around here?



*I forgot to say that, of course, I would take a HEA (happily ever after) over a broken heart. I'm not going to sabotage something that might come along that would be great...just in order to have my heart broken. That would just be stupid.

3 comments:

  1. i will offer no advice... b/c sometimes i hate when people try to give advice, especially when it is just a random thought. however, i will say you can have my broken heart. i think mines had all the heart break i can possibly stand in a life time... and i don't want to get stronger. i'm tired of ppl telling me it will make me stronger... i'm fine being weak and so alls i can say is it better be done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I can't say I want to have my heart broken again, as it is always a miserable experience, I will say this: I love your thoughts. And I can relate to the principle of them. I get sick of waiting and sick of trying and sick of watching things happen all around me when I just want to be in the thick of it. (This could go for a number of different scenarios.)

    BUT one thing I have found is that as long as I recognize the green grass on my side of the fence, I find myself not yearning quite so much for the green on the other side quite yet...because no matter how green it is, it doesn't last forever. No matter what side of the fence it's on. We take the good with the bad, right? And that's different for everybody.

    But agree with you: What exactly does a girl have to do??? C'mon!

    For someone who made me think about the other side, my hat's off to you. :) I like people who make me think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something."

    I heard that quote and while it doesn't make you feel better in the moment, I agree you have a point. However, how miraculous would it be to be one of those lucky souls that finds the right person without going through the heartbreak... scars aren't always a great thing.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...