Monday, February 13, 2012

Love and Memories Part I

There are some songs that no matter where you are or what time it is, when you hear them, your mind gets transported back to a time or place or just to a person.

Here are a few of those:

Greatest Love Of All by Whitney Houston on Grooveshark
(Whitney Houston, Greatest Love of All)
This song takes me back to the house on Frank Street. My mom used to listen to Mix 107.7 and probably a few other stations, and I remember her making Amy and me pancakes and telling us that she was going to be on the radio because she had won some contest. We listened eagerly to hear her voice transmitted over the radio. I can't remember how much she won. There are a few other songs that came out in the early 90s that make me think of us driving around in the station wagon and such.

My best friend in elementary school, Jessica Hobbs, has a few songs that are dedicated to her.
The Sign by Ace of Base on Grooveshark
(Ace of Base, The Sign)
We listened to this song while driving to the Miami County Fair. Her mom paid for me to go almost every year, which was SO nice of her, I wouldn't have gone if she hadn't. We went the night where you could buy the bracelets to get on as many rides as your stomach could handle. We rode the tilt-o-whirl until they literally wouldn't let us on anymore, and then Pam would buy us elephant ears or funnel cakes.

Miami by Foals on Grooveshark

Are You Jimmy Ray by Jimmy Ray on Grooveshark

We used to listen to Will Smith or Sugar Ray while playing Paper Boy on the Nintendo while eating a cup of Oreos, filled and made soggy by milk, with a spoon.

The Joker by Steve Miller Band on Grooveshark

This was one of the first songs where I learned all the lyrics to. I have a horrible memory, and couldn't remember the lyrics while my friends all sang at the top of their lungs. My memory had room for this song and Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. The two of these songs always take me back to Laura Wharton's house, where we watched Lifetime movies about bulimia and created a baby out of water balloons that we had for a really long time.

Torn by Natalie Imbruglia on Grooveshark

And then there was Hanson. Jessica, Heather Ridenour and I had the three boys divided between us, and we all thought they were so cute. I was a fan of Taylor.

MmmBop by Hanson on Grooveshark

To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...