Thursday, April 02, 2009

Good-bye ER

After 15 seasons, ER had its series finale tonight. Knowing that my roommate and I are both fans of the show, we decided to mark the occasion with a little dinner and gathering. Despite the fact that our friends have little interest, and even less understanding of the show and its history - they were easily persuaded with dinner.

So we put on our scrubs and ate our "Blood and Guts" and watched, waiting for the tears. After all, this show has been a big part of our lives growing up. My mom used to watch it every Thursday night. She would make us all go to bed so that she could watch the show in peace. As I got older, I would make up excuses to come downstairs and watch it. When I got even older, I would climb into her bed and watch with her - or pretend to go upstairs and instead watch in the front room. I was hooked when I saw one of the new doctors was played by a girl who had been in another television series I enjoyed watching. She was killed off a few seasons later.

When I came out to Utah, watching ER always reminded me of my mom - so any night that I didn't have to work, I turned it on and tried to stay caught up. This season, I've missed only one episode.

I thought I would be more emotional. We shouldn't be so attached to our television series, but we are. But, the finale surprised me. It tied up a few loose endings. But mostly, it was business as usual. Almost boring. I guess it's weird to think that it will never be one again, and then again, I am not really losing anything.

The point is: Dinner was good. The cheesecake was a success. I have one less thing to watch on Thursdays. And now, I have scrubs - that I may never take off again.




3 comments:

  1. my mom used to kick us out so she could watch every thursday night too!!! i wish i could have come to the party. Although i quite watching once most of the original cast was gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never cared much about ER, probably that I've been to the hospital many times and have yet to go and see doctors and nurses as attractive as the ones in ER.

    If The Office ever goes off air, I'll have to be put in the psych ward.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only watched a few episodes of ER now and then during my highschool years... but I do think I caught the "other actress" reference... Kelly Martin from Christy perhaps?? I own that entire TV series on DVD...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...