Wednesday, April 29, 2009

OHIO



While wallowing in the misery that is, and will always be, the thought of being registered for a STATS class (my personal hell on earth...), I have been thinking about home and the wonderful place that Troy actually is.

I must say, Troy exhibits several characteristics that just compliment my personality. For instance, Troy has always been an elitist and exclusive type of community. Although I have always found myself on the outside of these exclusive clubs - i.e. the basketball team, the popular kids, the rich kids, the kids in with large groups of friends... I find myself supporting these not-so-secret combinations. I don't have to tell you, dear reader, that I like to be exclusive. I like having my own private group or club or gathering. I enjoy inside jokes.

Troy is also a quaint little town and does really dumb things with its money. I am quaint. I think that if friendships were based off of mutual likes and dislikes - I wouldn't have the friends I do. The people that I cherish most have some of the most opposite interests and likes than I do. In fact, my interests are so "odd" (to them, not to me) that I don't think I would have ANY friends if I had to find a single person that shared my interests. Further, these interests often lead me to spending money on things that I probably don't need or won't use - but I swear I think I will use them when I purchase them. This is like Troy's thought process concerning potential look-out towers on the Adams Street Bridge (why?) and the Troy Water Park (I personally liked the regular SWIMMING pools better) or the gigantic football stadium and basketball gymnasium when our sports teams SUCK. But whatever. They all probably sound like a good idea at the time.

The thing I like most about Troy is that they know what's beautiful. Troy is full of pretty parks, and well-kept public areas. The river, the levee, the square, the cemeteries, the parks all around, the historical buildings... All pretty well-kept, all beautiful in their own right. I love that we have trees all over the place (forget Lindon, the city of trees - Troy has gotten the arbor award for ten years in a row - or something like that...) and I just love it. I love the bike path that they have created and extended. I love the green grass that is everywhere. I love love love the beauty of Troy. Did I mention the historical houses? I want one. Anyway, I like to think that I, too, appreciate beautiful things. And sometimes, I can be quite beautiful myself. (It takes a lot of work...but it happens on occasion.)

Of course, being beautiful in Ohio is a titch difficult. For some reason, my hair and even my make-up refuse to cooperate. I think it's the ever-present humidity. It doesn't matter what I do to my hair or how much make-up I put on...but the middle of the day, or within a few hours, all evidence of that effort is gone. GONE! Ohio is a magical place. It makes hours of preparation disappear in a matter of minutes. I am also magical. Or...not really. But I'd like to be.

I was so glad to go back to Troy this past week and be home. The weather even started to cooperate a few days in and it was absolutely WONDERFUL! I love Ohio. I love Troy. And most of all, I loved the time I got to spend with my family. They're my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...