Monday, April 06, 2009

In which she reflects on FHE

"Well-planned family home evenings can be a source of long-lasting joy and influence. These evenings are times for group activity, for organizing, for the expressions of love, for the bearing of testimony, for learning gospel principles, for family fun and recreation, and of all things, for family unity and solidarity."(Family Home Evenings, 1970-71, p. v — Joseph Fielding Smith, Harold B. Lee, and N. Eldon Tanner)

"Family home evening is for everyone. It is for families with parents and children, for families with just one parent, and for parents who have no children at home. It is for home evening groups of single adults and for those who live alone or with roommates. . . . Regular participation in family home evening will develop increased personal worth, family unity, love for our fellow men, and trust in our Father in heaven."(Family Home Evening, 1976 — Spencer W. Kimball, N. Eldon Tanner, and Marion G. Romney)


I admit it. When I was called to be an FHE "mom" in our single's ward, I was not particularly happy about it. I had preconceived notions that FHE was boring and a waste of time and that no one went... In fact, I was convinced that the only reason I was called, was because I didn't go myself. But I accepted the call, was given a co-chair, and thus began my tenure as FHE mom.

The summer went by rather fast, and between family visits and vacations, I didn't do a whole lot. In fact, I'm pretty sure Mathieu did all the work. I was really grateful. And I still hadn't grasped the whole meaning of FHE. So when they divided my group, which I had become somewhat fond of, I was disappointed and relieved at the same time. The changes that were made were life altering. That sounds dramatic...maybe it is a bit.

I was given a co-chair who was fresh off his mission, had never served as FHE co-chair, and was excited to. We didn't know each other well, but he was willing to help out, so I was pleased. So far I had not suffered being paired with someone who was worthless - unlike my sister, who when Amy was FHE mom, had a hard time getting participation from her co-chair much less the rest of the family. We had half our original members, and another few apartments from the ward.

Our first activity together involved HeeHaw Farms, sneaking in and playing on the hay-slide. It ended with a trip to a Gellato shop. Turns out, we had a great group! They were all willing to break in to HeeHaw farms, and none of them ended up in HeeHaw jail. Other activities were equally fun, and by the end our group was rather close-knit. We still had people that didn't come. We had others that came irregularly. But the truth was, I loved my family. And that's truly what they had become.

When we were reorganized again, Colin and I were devastated to be losing half our family. But we made do. Our new group turned out to be smaller, and yet just as fun. (Turns out, I have a pretty fantastic ward and I'm sure that just about anyone could be put in and it would be just as fun.)

In my patriarchal blessing, it says that I will come to know the importance of FHE (this is not a direct quote, but close enough) and I always thought that meant when I had my own children.

I think the principle, as mentioned above, is the fact that when people get together to worship God - even if that means they are dressing up in hoodrat clothes (though probably not breaking into HeeHaw Farms) and having good, clean fun - that a bonding occurs and friendships are made. More than that, families are made.

My time at the Omni has been one of the greatest times of my life. I have made friendships that I will cherish, and truly miss when I move out.

I feel like maybe I've posted about this before, but after tonight, I had to do it again. Our video for our Stake Oscar night was filmed today. Granted, we didn't have the best attendance, and that was after we combined with another group. However, I sent out an email asking people to be prepared, meaning: be camera ready, think about what they would say for their lines, etc. And they did it. Not only was I a little surprised that they had actually thought about this, but they were funny. There was not a single idea (except my own) that I turned my nose up and thought, "Now, they're just going to ruin our film." We've got some really talented, funny people in our ward and I'm so impressed with each and every one of them. I reallly do love them.

So, ok - You got me. Callings really are meant for us. They are inspired when we are given them. I'm so grateful for my opportunity to serve the ward in the capacity that I have. Even when I've felt burnt out. Even when I didn't want to go. There has not been a single time in this ward when I've left FHE and thought, "Now that was a waste of my time." And it was because of my family.



1 comment:

  1. your current post linked to this one and well... it made me miss you and the omni peeps, well planned activities, that year in general. Now I just watch ninja warrior and call it FHE ;) I need a reminder of all your creative ideas...

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...