Friday, July 10, 2009

Mixed Nuts - There's always just one more


Mmmm.... I love nuts.

So while I was eating from my mixed nuts the other night, I was feeling very philosophical. This particular container was the kind with all the nuts, and then peanuts (peanuts are totally a different classification of nut) - lots of peanuts. So I kept picking out the almonds and Brazilian nuts, etc. And every time I resigned myself to having finished all the almonds... I'd find just one more!

I couldn't help think that life is kind of like that: There's always one more.

The peanuts, the innumerable amounts of peanuts are probably the everyday, mundane things in life. But the other nuts represent the things that change and shape us.

Say you don't like the walnuts and so you go through and pick out all the walnuts from your life. And then just when you think that you've gotten them all, another one will show up through the peanuts. Just like car problems or things that you need to spend your vacation money on. Or fights. Or giving into temptations that you are trying to give up.... Walnuts are bad habits and weaknesses. Those walnuts. *shakes head* There's always one more.

But say that you really, really love almonds. Well, the principle is the same. You go through, stuffing your face with all the almonds that you can. And then you say, "Well, there just aren't anymore." And you go to put the container away, and THERE - just one more almond. Yum. Just like there is always one more friend willing to give you a hug on a bad day. A verse of scripture that uplifts you. A phone call from your mom or dad that says how much they love you. A last minute glimpse of the stars before the clouds cover the sky. Just one more ray of sunshine before the sun sets for the day. Just one more compliment that you never expected. Almonds help build and lift us. They make the whole container worth it.

Thank goodness for those unexpected almonds. It makes the walnuts seem just a little more bearable. Because even though there is a lot of peanuts - I mean, a lot - if the almonds and walnuts are balanced, then life isn't too bad. And sometimes, there is just one more almond than there is a walnut. And that is just a good day.

I don't know if this really applies to me, anyway, because I like ALL nuts. So I'm not sure what that means. Maybe I take the good with the bad? Or worse, maybe I don't realize that there are negatives in my life (ha!) and so I don't strive to get rid of those walnuts...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...