Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Words of Wisdom by Michael Scott

David Wallace: So I am going to fax that information to you today.
Michael: Fax? Why don't you just send it over on a dinosaur?
David: sighs impatiently Michael, this is important.
Michael: Then why don't you email it?

Truer words have never been spoken. Working at KMA, I have used a Rolodex and fax machine more often than any other office equipment. We are so outdated here! But honestly, I can't complain because I know there are other construction offices that are worse off than we are. At least we have a scanner and can email things if we wanted to. Just sometimes we forget. Even me!

Like a few weeks ago when I was to send quite a number of pages of specs to one of our engineers and thought that the only way to get it to him was the fax machine.... And of course the fax machine didn't have enough memory to get it all through at once, so I started breaking it up into pieces until I remembered the scanner upstairs. Which resulted in the following email:

Hi J,

I fell into a worm-hole and landed in the dark ages where I thought a fax was the only way to get you the specs you requested. I’m back now – I’ve scanned the requested pages and I’m copying them over to you now.
Let me know if there is anything else you need.


Shelli

How embarrassing, right? There's something about faxes that inherently bug me anyway. It might be the fact that my machine jams all the time because it thinks it needs to feed about 30 pages at once and then yells at me to fix it. Or just the incessant beeping. OR the fact that the tray is never on right, there isn't enough memory and it just looks ugly and takes up too much space. It also results in unnecessary phone calls, because you always have to call the person to ensure that the fax sent or received correctly. Note: the great thing about email is that you can check a little box that will TELL you whether or not the email has been opened. Or do something as simple as say, "Please reply" and they just have to send a one-word answer. AND you don't have to waste paper. Brilliant. Just freaking brilliant. I love email.

J's response?


Shelli, I'm glad you got your technology straightened out.


So am I, J. So am I.

2 comments:

  1. ha ha sometimes i forget how awesome the office is

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met someone today who doesn't have email. I threw up almost.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...