Thursday, January 28, 2010

Moving Day

I've been telling the guys at work that I am moving since...November. I am fairly certain that is when I signed my contract in order to move in Single Tree. I paid the deposit. The next month I paid my first month's rent (for January) and I even dropped by once or twice on occasion. The guys would all ask if I liked my new place, my new ward, my new roommates, etc. Only, I never moved out. So I couldn't tell them anything.

One day, Wes offered to help me move. It was out of genuine good-will. Now, I hate moving. And I hate moving other people more...so I really hate asking people to help me move. BUT - moving is also hard work, and not something that can be accomplished alone. When I move, I always wish I were part of the wealthy gentry back in the 19th century and had house servants to pack, clean and move all of my things. Because boxes of books are heavy. Furniture is heavy. And organizing is a pain. I have a lot of friends who have offered to help, but I hate asking because none of them drive trucks and they are busy with school and work of their own.

But the guys at work drive trucks. Big trucks. And they are guys. They offer to help me carry the 70lb box of paper and all the pop I buy them. And I never take them up on it, because even though I'm not a feminist, I am not completely worthless, either. I can handle paper and pop - But I totally let them take care of the armoire and the bookshelf and the other boxes that I am so sick of looking at.

I bribed them with pizza. They had already offered to do it, but I still wanted to make it worth their while, after all, they were giving up their lunch hour to help me. They didn't expect it, so that was more incentive to get them lunch. And then Kevin ended up offering to pick up the bill, anyway. So....that was really nice. We went over to the house and they had everything loaded in 15 minutes. We drove the three blocks to my new, more ghetto apartment, and they had everything unloaded in another 20. They even rearranged my room for me.

"We want to know what's in the big giant Victoria Secret box," Rob says as spokesmen for the group.
"Yeah, Rob really wants to open that," says Todd.
"I don't know guys. I think that would really make our make our work relationship a little uncomfortable," I replied, laughing - knowing that there was a nun costume and pirate costume in the box and not lingerie. But still imagining the comments that would come up because of the nun habit.


There was something very...gratifying having five guys helping me move. Did I mention that I love working here? They are so funny and so nice. (Well, nice probably isn't the best word for them...) Obliging? I wonder what the couple of girls that walked home from classes and saw these two trucks with five guys carrying box after box - they must think that I'm insane to have that much stuff. Even though, it really doesn't seem like much.

They were carrying in my armoire and had to tip it to go up the stairs, and Rob is like, "CAREFUL, Rob has junk down there!"
Todd quipped, "But not much, so it's ok."
"At least a handful," Rob insists, "And YOUR hand was way too close," (he was talking to Wes).
"For heaven's sakes, I wasn't anywhere close to that," Wes insisted.
"Close enough," Rob said.

And then we came back and had pie - because William helped me make three pies last night and the crust actually turned out! This is thrilling for me, because I have never really made a good crust. And finally, I've learned most of William's secrets. And I'm just so pleased with the crust that I can't even stand it. If the guys hadn't told me that it was good - I would have been sad. But they liked it. I made Derby Pie, which, is basically like a giant chocolate chip cookie. I didn't bake it long enough, so it is a little more liquidy than I would have preferred - however, I did add walnuts to it. Can I just say that nuts are really delicious? They totally made the pie 68% better. (Sorry, Mackenzie... you can't have Derby Pie with walnuts, but I recommend it for EVERYONE else.)

Ingredients
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 pdg. chocolate chips (small)
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs well beaten
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 c. nuts
Directions
  1. Melt butter, add chocolate chips, mix flour and sugar.
  2. Add eggs, vanilla, and nuts.
  3. Pour into unbaked pie shell and bake 25 minutes in 350 degree oven.
*I baked my pies for 45 minutes, and it still didn't seem like enough. I also mixed everything differently, but that's because I didn't know how... so I guess this works.


I'm now 93% of the way moved in. And I might even sleep in my new apartment....tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Part of the problem with the filling may have been on account of my stupid gas oven that doesn't seem to be consistent (though, at least it's not as bad as the stove).

    Despite your claim that it is undercooked, it was still quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave the walnuts out for me too...for some reason I feel like they ruin things like Derby Pie and brownies. Just my opinion...that needed to be heard. Love you and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

Related Stories

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...